“What would you say are the pros and cons with home schooling kids?”-Elisabeth
I will attempt to tackle this HUGE subject…but not alone. I will also be providing links. One of the best answers to this can be found on Sonlight’s page titled, THE BENEFITS (AND DISADVANTAGES) OF HOMESCHOOLING. Sonlight is where I buy the core of my homeschool material from. I love the emphasis on reading. The first year we used it my fifth grader reported, “I read 45 books this year. In school I would have read three text books.” Ok, back to the subject on hand:
- The time we get to spend as a family
- We can travel and experience life without giving up learning
- I get to chose the emphasis (strong readers for example) and can highlight my children’s strengths
- I am fully accountable for their behavior- well, really they are but you get my point.
- THE PAPERWORK! I’m not a fan of paperwork but I do want full report cards and yearly test results…yuck, paperwork.
- The fact that, after listing paperwork, I need to go read Sonlights page to try to remember the cons….
- Nope…still not finding the rest. Oh, yeah. I’m fully accountable for their behavior-well, really they are, but I can’t blame it on the school system or the teacher or the kid that is bullying them…some days I want to blame someone else (just a little).
Most of the other ‘cons’ are things I found to be true when our kids were also in school. I want to spend time with my children. Once they are 18 and they go their own way…I want the memories. I don’t mind justifying my choices, I do it all the time with my horses…don’t my kids deserve the same? If I feel ‘behind’ when homeschooling all I need to do is talk to a friend with kids ‘in school’ to remember that the school system isn’t perfect either.
I should also be clear that my kids have been in school for years at a time. I have no problem with kids going to school and if we choose to settle down again and my boys want to go back to school they will have that choice. I do know that it was easier to be disconnected from my boys education when they were in school…which is a pro and a con:)